April 16, 2014

one room challenge - the bathroom edition week 3

We are already at the half way point of the One Room Challenge people. (You can catch up on week 1 here and week 2 here) Let's say it all together - where does the time go?!

Progress is happening at a good clip in my sister's little guest bathroom


and we've gone from this


to this. Tiling is in progress and the hall is being painted as we speak/type/read.


So this week I thought I'd share some scores and a major bomb. Namely what is happening on this wall. As I had said before, a bathroom is a hard place to have much originality, so I was on the hunt to add some sort of...something to make this little spot shine. Great idea, in theory.

One area I thought I could do this was with the sink. This bathroom is so petite that there were hardly any vanities that would fit. Also, have you looked at vanities lately? Not very exciting unless you want to spend the earth. Since this is a guest bathroom, storage wasn't a must so I was able to convince my sister to ditch the vanity idea and go for a stand alone sink. I envisioned a sexy wall mount number but those can also be a pretty penny, and without an IKEA near by my options were limited.


So I went to the best place for unique bathroom supplies, ReStore, and was thrilled to find this little number. She was very cool, very shallow (which meant she wouldn't swallow a lot of space) and she was $19. Ding Ding. Yes, she was yellow, but that was nothing a bit of reglazing wouldn't take care of.


Wall mount faucets are a bit more than regular ones but I quickly found one I liked, got that ordered and started calling reglazing people. Crickets. I couldn't get anyone to call back. After finally cornering one guy on the phone he flipped out that the sink wasn't already attached to something and said it would be about $275 to reglaze. Really? I love a good deal as much as the next person, but the faucet and reglazing were blowing my margin and this deal of a sink was fast becoming not much of a deal.

To make me feel better I took the sink over to dry fit it and see how fab it would look...and it was 1.5" too wide. Who measured this damn thing anyway? Or right, that would be me. Strike #3.

The cherry on top was when the faucet came and the spout stuck out too far, meaning the water would have gone over the sink rather than in it. It was time to call this sink a bust. I hate busts. So frustrating.

Luckily I've had the lighting to make me feel better.


I found this lantern for a steal at my favorite antique store a while back. I don't know about you but vaulted ceilings in a bathroom mean one thing - wonderful overhead lighting. This lantern wasn't electrified but we took it to a local lighting shop who was able to do the job, make the new pieces look as old as the rest and all in it was still cheaper than a new lantern. Now that's a deal. (If you need a good lighting shop in St. Louis let me know and I'll pass on their name.)


The patina of the lantern reminded me so much of the great gooseneck light I got at this sale. At the time I had no idea where it would go, just that it was too cool and too cheap to pass up. I love it when the lighting stars align. With more scores than bombs I think we are headed in the right direction (knock on wood).

Be sure to check in with all of the other great ladies to see how things are moving.


48 comments:

  1. Oh no, not 1.5" too big! UGH that must have been so frustrating. But of course it means some other fabulous sink is bound for this room that would be even more perfect. That light on a vaulted ceiling is pure deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the bust … but that's part of the fun, the hunt! And what a score with the light! I call it an overall Win!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch on the bust- but score on the lantern!! Can't wait to see the tile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I'm sorry! Sharing my "bust" next week. I have full confidence that you will score the perfect sink! And damn that light looks cool. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer about the sink :( But, wahoo on the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so digging that lantern! I've definitely struck out with some ReStore finds too (I'm in there at least weekly), but I've also found some pretty amazing stuff. I know you'll find an amazing sink soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so bummed about the sink- it's so fabulous! Maybe you can keep and put in another bathroom down the road- the shape is just so great. On a happier note, you've made so much progress and that light is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the size, that sink is so good! I knew you'd have some fab finds for us, you're the best and so is the lighting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is always the way. I can't tell you how many times I buy things, and need to re-sell because they aren't just right. No fear, I know you will find something even better. The lighting is suh weet!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a bummer about the sink! I'm sure you'll come up with an even better option in the long run, though. That lantern is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess all your drawbacks are why this is called "Challenge"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man. i would bust something after getting excited about a design solution AND great deal that didn't work out. not awesome. but the lantern is!! and you'll find a workaround.

    also, ikea in kc later this year. come see us!!!!!!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. $19???!! wow! have to check out STL ReStore soon! Can't wait to see the tile set!

    ReplyDelete
  14. such is the life of a decorista no? I buy stuff all the time and it just sits around because it didnt really work....
    so chic though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a bummer! I've been looking at bathroom vanities, too and if you want something on the smaller side there isn't much to choose from. Restore is usually pretty great in the bathrooms category, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Major bummer about that sink. I'm sure the tape measure was not accurate. Love that lantern, and I can't wait to see that up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your lantern is so precious. I love it and that would cure all my sadness about the sink in a second. I'm not worried about the sink I know you will find the perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That lantern is amazing - I love mixing in some unexpected lighting in bathrooms. Such a bummer about the sink. I'll be paying close attention to what you end up with because I've been on an unsuccessful hunt for a reasonably priced vanity for our super small master bath too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've scored some great finds! I hate when things don't go right but I totally believe you're going to find something way better, that's how it always works!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a shame about the sink! But at least you're only out $19, right? And that lantern is fantastic! This bathroom is going to be gorgeous!!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok well the lighting was an amazing find!!!! score!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man. Cracking up over here. I'm lucky I have my dad to double check all of my ideas when it comes to kitchens and baths. Hoping you guys work it out with the sink and faucet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh man, I know that deal. Too well. I'm a bit shit with remembering to measure things out. Alas, I love the lighting choice! Also, slightly jealous that the bathroom is being done in 6 weeks and I can't manage to get mine done in 8 months. Hmm. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bummer about the sink but the lighting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well crapola on the sink situation. I hate when that happens....it is like swimming upstream. At the end you are right back where you started....no sink. On the other hand that lantern is singing a pretty good little tune:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. A frustrating week, but the lighting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ugh, bathrooms are so hard in some ways! So much function packed into such a tiny space means high margin of error. At least the sink only set you back $15!

    And the lighting is awesome. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sink is amaaaazing for $19! Whaaat! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loathe busts. Do you need me to make an IKEA run? You know I would do anything for ya sister, and for your sister, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That light is going to be gorgeous. The sink? Not meant to be. I'm sure you'll find something even more fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The lantern looks great! Awesome find!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. That stinks about the bust on the sink :( but I love the lantern! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the sink plan B!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ahh such a great idea! I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I know you will come up with a fabulous alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a bummer! I thought you were on to something. Good thing the lighting is Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A serious bummer because that sink is amazing! I'm sure you'll find another place to use it and it will be fabulous!!! Loving that lantern though! Keep up the fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm sorry but I LOL picturing the water flowing outside of the sink. Thank you for keeping it real. I'm sure you'll find something else that is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So impressed with your sink find! Can't wait to see it when it's been reglazed!
    xo Mary Jo
    http://MagicalMined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Big bummer on the sink nightmare...I too was so excited when I saw it and the fact that it was $19...I'm sure you'll find something great. Anyways, who needs running water in a bathroom when you've an amazing lantern to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the lantern! I have been thinking of this bathroom all week! That window!! I cant wait to see it finished out! Love all of this!!! XO Lance @ Parker Kennedy Living

    ReplyDelete
  40. Agh I hate when that happens! It just means some other way more fabulous sink is right around the corner tho!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I always have at least one fail per project. And $19 is a minimum fail. LOVE that lantern fixture!! I've seen a huge lighting eBay store based in St. Louis. Do you know anything about it? I'm looking for a lantern for my entry. Good luck with your new computer!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. A bummer re the sink! It was a beauty! Gorgeous light too! The time is going by so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. hate it when that happens, that lantern is so cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Whoa! The transformation is faster than my experience! I love the green shades, but it seems not in good shape. The lantern makes me attracted to the project. Indeed, it’s one of the favorites! We are looking forward to see the result of the project! Classy!

    Sebastian of
    Tropical Life Style

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you sweet talk me! It makes my day!
And please make sure you leave an email address so we can keep the convo going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips