February 23, 2015

monday minute - birthday tradition


Rise and shine, it's ONE degree outside! Remind me again why I live somewhere that would be so cold?!

Monday's are not usually a day I post because I try to make the weekends pure family time and that would mean I'd have to write a post for Monday on Friday and let's be honest, that kind of advanced preparation is just not happening. But from time to time, there are quick little things I want to share. Not in a big long post, but just a quick 'hey, check it out' way. Hence the not promised to at all be regularly scheduled new series, Monday Minute.


Yesterday we celebrated Eve's birthday. My baby is four (insert tears here) and so we celebrated. Kids birthdays could be an entire series on their own, and I know when talking with friends the phrase 'kid's birthday party' is a lightening rod. I'm not going to get into all of that except to say that I tend to revolt against that type of parental pressure. We don't do huge birthday parties (except for the 1st birthday which is really more of a celebration for the parents who made it thru the first year). But, we do have several family birthday traditions. And the biggest hit without a doubt is the tradition of decorating the birthday tablecloth.

Easy as can be. I roll out brown craft paper on the table, bring out the always under lock and key and therefore a treat in and of it self - MARKERS and let the girls go to town. I always do their name, because they usually want it really big (duh) but they do the rest. They have usually picked out a theme of sorts, Eve's was rainbows, and we just have a free for all color session.


I let them trace a plate at each seat and then determine the seating chart. It gives very anxious birthday people something to occupy their time, it gives them some 'control' that they are determining what their party will look like and they are always thrilled when the guests arrive and they can show everyone their seat.


Add a rainbow of balloons (the yellow popped early but the extra pink was happy to stand in) and whatever flower the birthday girl picks from Trader Joe's (another birthday tradition) and voila - birthday prep complete. We also always get a cookie amuse-bouche at the bakery when we pick up the cake. A bunch of little traditions add up to a lot of things to look forward to.


Nothing pinworthy or pintastic, but something the girls love. And the older they get, the more they talk about what they will be putting on their birthday tablecloth days (or weeks) before the big day.


Happy girls = happy parents.

Do you have fun family traditions for birthdays? Anything your kids look forward to? (besides the presents of course) Want to invite me to your beach house to ride out the rest of the winter? Thanks so much!


16 comments:

  1. I LOVE your simple traditions! My mom still cooks my favorite dinner for me every year, it's hands down my favorite thing to do on my birthday! Eve & Mr. Simple share a b-day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy happy birthday and year ahead to your baby girl! Both of them are just precious you lucky Mama. Love your traditions, especially the tablecloth, I hope you continue to do that even when they are teens when they will pretend to not be impressed but really love that you still do that for them. My kids are all about the food, they've all asked for Monkey Bread for their birthday breakfasts since they were munchkins like yours, and start planning their birthday dinner menu months in advance (my 12 year old already stated he would like twice baked potatoes and his very own filet mignon for his bday in May.) Hope you all enjoyed celebrating your sweet little Eve!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hate that kids have to get older ...but, I am with you! We don't do friends birthday parties every year either...the thought of a guest list makes me very uncomfortable! I let my kids pick what we eat for dinner and I alway try to bake the cake...hence, my kids have low standards and enjoy the simple pleasures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! My youngest is 3 1/2 and I can deal with her being 3, but when she turns 4, I too think that'll be hard. They won't be a baby anymore….Your daughters are so cute and I hope your youngest had a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for the tablecloth. Love the rainbow balloons! Happy Birthday to your cute girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously! How cute are your girls?! I just want to eat up their little faces. Our tradition depends on the day that the cake celebration happens. We have birthday cake for breakfast the next day and we all feel like we are getting away with something, except me because I sneak ridiculous foods when the kids aren't home all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think this is perfect!!!! and i totally feel you on the monday thing which is why mondays aren't happening here lately! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet...and sweet eve looks like a lefty? Love her name. Every year I tell my children, in long elaborate detail, about the day they were born. They are 34, 31, and 25 and they might act bored or like they think I'm silly, but those were the three best days of my life and I will do it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this tradition!!!! Happy Birthday to your cute little sweetie :) I don't mean to throw my husband under the bus here - but I totally am. Every year I tell him we aren't going to do the big party thing. And every year it happens anyway. The closer we get to party day he starts saying things like, "do you have games planned? Why aren't you doing a big cake? Do you need me to step in and do x, y, z?" You can probably visualize my If Looks Could Kill eyes shooting his direction :D Then I feed off of it thinking I'm not doing enough and then BAM, there I am planning a much bigger party than I wanted. Ugh. Momma is putting her foot down. THIS IS THE LAST YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have the best family traditions! Looks like such a fun birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tradition Elizabeth! All I know is the birthdays start coming faster and faster each year.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love special traditions like these so much! Happy birthday to Eve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a Thanksgiving baby and an Easter baby. Parties are just not worth it for me. Not enough people are going to come to make favors, decor, event rentals worth it. When they start school and have a group of special friends, I really look forward to the sleepover, etc. milestones. I feel the same way about first birthdays though. One of the biggest transition milestones! We do birthday breakfasts. That way no matter what is going on that day, we start the day with a celebratory note. I decorate the breakfast table with a pile of presents as the centerpiece, we have the same birthday banner for everyone, and as many balloons as I can handle. I am making a "birthday throne" seatback to add to the decor this year. Daddy makes special strawberry pancakes with whip cream and sprinkles while birthday girl opens gifts. I also have a ceramic cupcake candleholder we stick in the pancake stack so we can sing happy birthday. I make a homemade cake in whatever theme or flavor of choice. For my baby's second this November, I did a peanut butter chocolate Lady face from Lady and the Tramp. Last tradition, each of our girls share a birthday month with one of us so we pick a weekend in that month for a special weekend trip/ show/ new adventure. Our latest birthday month's were Disney on Ice and Walking with Dinosaurs. I get excited about "birthday month" so I am pretty sure they are going to cherish those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. something is going on with my comments on your blog!! not sure what I'm doing wrong....anyway....I love this! What a special way to celebrate and keep tradition. We don't have set traditions but we always have a pinata for Little Miss....like I did growing up. And also the birthday cake's frosting is always, always italian meringue...because it is so divine and even healthy! Your baby is precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww that's such a cute tradition! And I honestly don't know why people put so much pressure on themselves to make everything so 'pin-worthy' when really it's about the kids (right?? It IS about the kids RIGHT?) - this looks amazing and it's clear your girls love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet girls!!! I did a laid back "playdate" birthday for G this year. SO stress free and the kids had a blast (despite my day before Party City decorating and juice boxes.) Hah!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you sweet talk me! It makes my day!
And please make sure you leave an email address so we can keep the convo going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips