June 17, 2015

she was a good faux elephant


When I change things up I change things up.

I may have mentioned recently that I am making some changes to my living room, thanks to welcoming home this baby.


Truth is though she was just the push I needed to start making changes that I've had in mind for quite some time. Remember what I always tell the hubs, by the time I tell you about a change/idea I've already been mulling it over for a few months.

And before my mother anyone rolls their eyes at the fact that I'm changing things up, again, I just did a little research and realized that the last time I changed the 'ol living room was 2012. (thanks to the blog for keeping track of these things for me) Dude. 2012 is a long time. Especially for a girl who used to change up her bedroom so often I'd get in trouble (note: don't switch your bedroom with the guest bedroom without asking your mom first. Even if you are cute and 10, it won't go over well)


When we were house hunting all those years back, a fireplace was at the top of my wish list. Right behind three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Proof that you can score 0 for 3 on your wish list and still end up with the perfect house. But that's another post.

Long story short, we put an offer in on our house and I made a mental floor plan immediately with this family mantel as the center piece. I wanted a fireplace and damn it, I was going to have one. Thank God I have parents who hoard as much furniture as I do.


But because of the layout of the room the mantel had only one place to go, along the longest wall of the room, which at times made furniture layout a bit of a pickle. Over time, I got the itch to take the living room from a room where we could sit for a drink or some polite conversation to a room where everyone could hang out comfortably. Comfort often requires size (you gotta be able to spread those legs out) and size requires that one, and only, long wall in the room.


So...I call uncle. I have acknowledged the elephant in the room and have shown her the door. And as a side note, once that mantel was gone, I felt a huge weight lifted. I don't know about you, but for me mantels are just pressure-packed styling challenges staring you in the face 24/7. Ahhhh, sweet release.

And that's the latest from LBD headquarters. The mantel is out, and furniture is in. More about all of that at a later date. But for today, a hand over the heart for the mantel. Oh, and no fear on her fate, she's happily nestled in at my sister's place. A family that trades furniture often is a family full of bad backs. (antiques are heavy)


Have you ever had an elephant in the room that you had to work around? Ever gotten rid of something you never thought you would and felt great afterwards? Want to help me move some furniture?

28 comments:

  1. ooooh, I LOVE that love seat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that loveseat! i can't wait to see! you don't need to explain yourself here... bring on the change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are such a tease!!!! I want to see your new room!!!! :) Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and happy summer. Now show me the damn room! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! I have a real mantel that is the elephant in the room complete with a TV hole (who uses those?) and a mantel shelf about 5 inches deep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I call them ferns which always need a pot and before you know it I am surrounded by too many ferns, or pillows, or chairs or mirrors ... I get you and your mantel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crapola that LOVESEAT!! GASP! Ok, yeah, I'd be ripping things outta my house to make that work too. I'm so sorry to see your fab mantle go but I have no doubt it'll look sexy as hell when you are done with the space! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm running out of patience...I want a reveal damn it!! My elephant is my fireplace...brick from floor to ceiling...no movin' that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see what you've got going! Sad to see her go, but so happy she's still in the family and I know whatever you do next will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cling tight to things WAY longer than I need to. It's almost like an abusive relationship :D Super excited to see the changes you have up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dying over that fabulous bold print. your makeover can't come quick enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh, cannot wait to see what you are up to! Yeah, moving furniture is a pre-requisite to be a member of my family!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've totally done this...hung on to furniture that i thought i really loved. feels so good to start new! can't wait to see your latest design!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Blue Elephant Girl. I am such a fan of blue and green. I love what you are doing. But, wow, this is therapy for me. I could write a book about changing my room as a kid. I started at age three and now I am actually stinking 65. We could talk, do you think past life regression therapy would help??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
    upvc sliding windows suppliers in Hyderabad
    upvc sliding door suppliers in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  16. Useful article, thank you for sharing the article!!!

    Website: blogcothebanchuabiet.com chia sẻ những câu nói mỉa mai người khác hay stt một mình vẫn ổn và giải thích hiện tượng chim sẻ bay vào nhà là điềm gì.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Discord application is not getting linked for multiple players and it stops them through using the application despite having a working connection to the internet. Let’s check out the solutions forDiscord not connecting
    issue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sa mạc phía Đông của Ai Cập trong thời kỳ Hy Lạp chắc ở đây co kim tự tháp đó các bann, mời các bạn xem các thông tin : Xem các nguyên nhân răng bị bật khỏ hàm ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice Blog !
    Our team at Quickbooks Customer Service Number never misses any deadline for delivering high-quality service in the midst of a crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have you gotten your financial freedom yet? if not get intouch with mr pedro loans offer at 3% rate in return, Mr pedro granted me a loan when my bank couldn't granted my loan when my business was going down due to financial crisis on covid-19 then I begin searching online that how I came across Pedro loan offer which I applied and to my surprise My loan was granted successfully.
    Contact pedroloanss@gmail.com for business loans,personal loans,car loans,home loans,sbl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 123 HP Print and Scan Doctor Working cycle. Directions to determine hp envy 5530 printer offline. Printer Setup measure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found this site so fascinating and I thought it wise to leave an encouraging comment. I appreciate, please keep on producing good content like this. See also: Airtel Night Plan 100 for 1Gb

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing such useful post about interior decoration.
    Doors In Cork

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so glad that this blog was able to help out! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to learn from such valuable information.
    Shopify app developer

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. For top-notch tile and grout cleaning in Toledo Ohio, look no further! Our dedicated team utilizes advanced cleaning techniques to restore the shine and cleanliness of your tiles. Say goodbye to stubborn stains and grime as we meticulously clean and sanitize grout lines, leaving your surfaces looking brand new. We understand the importance of a pristine environment, and our skilled professionals are committed to delivering exceptional results.

    Whether it's your kitchen, bathroom, or any tiled area, we bring expertise and efficiency to every job. Experience the difference with our reliable Tile and grout cleaning toledo ohio services – where excellence meets cleanliness in Toledo, Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I highly encourage you to persist in sharing informative articles in the future. Your contributions are genuinely beneficial, and we eagerly anticipate learning from and enjoying more of your work. Thank you for your commitment and for expanding our knowledge with your content. Please continue your fantastic work by posting more informative articles like this. Your efforts are making a significant impact, and we are excited to read more from you in the future. Need finance assignment help? No need to look any further! Your quest ends here, as we offer unparalleled science assignment help in your vicinity with a team of over 2000 assignment experts. Have questions? Don't hesitate to reach out.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you sweet talk me! It makes my day!
And please make sure you leave an email address so we can keep the convo going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips