June 28, 2013

freshening the foyer - part 2

Previously, on Freshening the Foyer...


We were left with a blank space


and a can of this.

Specifically, Lucky Shamrock by Benjamin Moore. I have a lot of blue in my house and I really do love blue. But I didn't want to become one big blue house. So what goes with blue? What's welcoming and cheery? What would I want to see when I walk in the house everyday? 


Green.

And you all know how I like a good lookin' ceiling (like here and here) so I took that paint up north. Happy green ceiling - complete. Now for the walls.

My ultimate dream would be some Anna Spiro wallpaper but for now that isn't in the budget. So I went with this stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils thanks to a Sadie + Stella discount code a while back. (Thanks Lindsay)


And here is where this little spruce up went off the tracks a bit. I got the stencil, I was excited to use it and the walls were painted and ready. The hubs and I skimmed thru the directions (first mistake) and got to work.


And ended up with this. Ruh roh.

How's this for real life DIY? They don't always go so smoothly, am I right? I blame the little dots in the stencil. They threw us off some how. To be honest, I don't know what happened. The whole process went so fast (which I was rather surprised about) we didn't realize it until we stepped back to admire our finished work.

Major let down.

This all happened right before the party, of course, so it was a good lesson in letting things go. There was no time to fix it and I just didn't have the mental fortitude to make it happen.


So this is how it looked for a few weeks. And it drove me bonkers. The stencil is on crack, the mirror doesn't play well with the bench and its hung too high. And the trim still needs to be painted. Calgon, take me away.


Finally I psyched myself up to try this again. I repainted the whole space (thank god it is small) and after playing with the stencil BEFORE painting, revolutionary I know, I figured out what I needed to do.

So learn from my mistakes.


This is not something you can rush thru, even if it may seem straightforward. You will need to do one sheet and step back to check your work. Then place the sheet in the next spot and step back and check your work. Then roll the next sheet and, you guessed it, step back and check your work.


You will want to go over the stencil several times with your roller. Don't. It just makes a mess. And always roll in the one direction. Never back and forth or you will just end up with a big smeared blob.


Play with the amount of paint on your roller a bit before starting. The key is to find the perfect combo of the right amount of paint and the right amount of pressure so you can get the stencil on in one roll.


Much better.





Now all that is left is some styling, finding some sconces and figuring out a solution for the mirror. The round one that was there originally just didn't work.

This mirror is from the family room and I like it's size but I don't like the pine with the bench. But this mirror is from my parents and it is certainly a 'paint it and die' piece.


So my best girl Linda is helping me to scour Craigslist and I've already got a few options. With her mad skills, I bet I'll find something in no time. What kind of mirror would you add?

Look forward to the next installment of Freshening the Foyer to find out how this all ends. Will I get the trim painted? Will I find a mirror? Will I ever clean that floor properly? Too much excitement, I know.

And don't forget Google Reader is donezo on July 1. Have no fear though, you can continue to follow my sparkling personality and quick wit on Bloglovin. Find out how to import your list from Google Reader here.

Happy Day!

46 comments:

  1. It looks so cute! I know what it's like to make a DIY mistake and then have to psych up to do it again! Good for you for taking a breath, and then getting back to it. I love that bench too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so impressed with your fortitude. I could NEVER do this. Way too much ADD. It looks fantastic!! I'm thinking something with very simple lines for the mirror with that settee. BTW, very jealous of that settee. Should the mirror be black? I thought with your door...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Some crown molding would really set that ceiling off. The green is so fun! Don't you think foyers should be fun and unexpected??! Just love it! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! So much work! I see a lacquer mirror. Black, pink, or white?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that green ceiling and the stencil. So fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT Job!!! i love it, and love that black glass front door and that bamboo bench...wow, it is looking sensational! Im so impressed!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so great! I love that you went with a bold color :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I stenciled my guest room, I used grid paper to figure out how to tape it off...seemed to work easily once I had the tape up. Yours looks great....bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it - you've turned that foyer upside down (in a great way!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking great! I have never stenciled. Thought about it! Looking forward to the continuing saga!! We get ourselves into never ending dramas!! But it's fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You didn't overlap the stencil the first time, right?! Love the natural tone against the green. I'm certain you'll find the perfect mirror on CL. Where is the pineapple pillow from? Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay there are so many things I love about the final result: the Moravian star light (!), the green ceiling (!!), the bamboo bench (yum) and then the stencil - it came out so great! Aren't you glad you persevered? Such a pretty and welcoming entry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post proves the old adage--"if at first you don't succeed, try, try again"! Your new entry is welcoming, bright and cheery. Do you think you'd try stenciling again? I'm contemplating a stenciling project, too, so I am really encouraged by your results!

    On a side note, are you considering a cushion on your bench? Not necessary, but it might add a nice, fun color. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous entry!!!! Love the green ceiling the most Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kinda have to admit that I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the bamboo bench in its natural state. I mean, it would be super-cute painted a fun color (like green) but... there's something about that bamboo color that I like.

    Love, love, love the stencil. I'm gonna have to try using a roller with stencils next time. In the past I have just tried to do the dry brush thing and the edges of the design are never very crisp.

    Also, that door!! I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it! What an awesome amount of light it must let in! Love it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a bright and cheery color to welcome everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it and I am so glad you showed the not-so-perfect first try. Mine would be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's fresh, fun and a bit funky - LOVE it! Bet no one at the party even noticed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your stenciled wall and that green looks very fresh and pretty! You did a great job picking the color and stencil. I like your bench, too!

    Happy weekend!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a lot of patience! Where did you find that bench, I looooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the color! And your rug.

    I would go with a black mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Kudos to you girl for getting back to it...I would have done the same thing. I love the green and how it plays off the natural bamboo. Now go and enjoy your weekend!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post. My stomach dropped when I saw your first attempt. It really turned out great! I admire your persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks so good and I am giving you total props for taking so much time on his DIY--- your patience paid off. What a fun way to greet your visitors!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The green looks fantastic in your entry! It really opens open the space and the stencils pattern works perfectly. I've seen stencils used a lot recently and I really like the look. Love the pattern you've chosen and good for you.. not an easy job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving your new entry! I stenciled mine last year and also had an oops on spacing...but I did not repaint...just decided to go with it and no one has ever noticed!
    http://elegantnest.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-stenciled-entry.html
    I agree with the other ladies who suggest a black mirror above the bench...will look fab there!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have more patience than me my dear! The finished product looks great - It's so hard to go back over decorating mistakes but it was definitely worth the effort - I love that poppy green, especially on the ceiling :) Can't wait to see the finished product all styled up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been eying that wallpaper for awhile! Your patience definitely paid off - looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Elizabeth,
    Absolutely fantastic!! You must be so happy and proud. I'm so proud of you :) Way to go!
    Whitley
    www.thequeencitystyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous!! You know I have a soft spot for green...love the bench in there...I have to admit I like the round mirror, maybe it looks different in person but it looks really good in the pictures...love everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks stunning! I know it is so stressful when you put it all that work, and have to start ocver. I have definitely been there... more than once! But your persistance paid off. Great job. I absolutely love that bamboo bench!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is amazing. I love that you painted the ceiling the same color stencil print. I need this space. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is such a refreshing foyer! I love how the green and bamboo compliments each other!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks soo good! Totally inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a happy little space! Sorry you had to do it twice, but your results are totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this!! And I love that you keep it real...it makes me feel as though I could actually tackle a stencil project. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE LOVE LOVE this. So fun. I especially love how you painted the ceiling to give it that little extra oomph!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks amazing!!! I love the Shamrock green and stencil!! Fab job :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so gorgeous! Such a great job, and I might have to copy. :) I'm thinking drapes though. It's such a lovely print!

    ReplyDelete
  40. holy smokes. i keep thinking i'm going to get the gumption to do something like this in our foyer instead of spending millions on wallpaper...but i don't know if i have the patience. you did great!! want to come over? :)

    i think you could go a lot of directions with a mirror, actually. i'm liking black.

    also, still totally obsessed with the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just, just...insanely good. The green, the pattern (I cannot tell you how many times I've almost bought that very stencil!), the the moravian star, your GORGEOUS bench. Now, that's a good mix, Lady. I've said it once, I've said it twice...you got it goin' on!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  42. OMG. I am bowing down now.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for sharing, nice post!

    - Với sự phát triển ngày càng tiến bộ của kỹ thuật công nghệ, nhiều sản phẩm thông minh ra đời với mục đích giúp cuộc sống chúng ta trở nên thoải mái và tiện lợi hơn. Và vong dien tu dong ra đời là một trong những sản phẩm tinh túy của công nghệ, vong dua em be là quà tặng tuyệt vời cho bé yêu của bạn. Máy đưa võng tự động là phương pháp ru con thời hiện đại của các ông bố bà mẹ bận rộn.
    - Máy đưa võng tự động là phương pháp ru con thời hiện đại của các ông bố bà mẹ bận rộn. Những lợi ích mà máy đưa võng tự động mang lại là vô cùng thiết thực.
    - Máy đưa võng tự động là một thiết bị được gắn trên chiếc võng xếp giúp đưa võng hoàn toàn tự động mà không cần tác động của người dùng. Võng tự động hay may dua vong là giải pháp giúp bạn tiết kiệm thời gian công sức trong việc chăm sóc trẻ khi ngủ võng, may dua vong tu dong không những giúp cho các bé có giấc ngủ ngon hơn mà bố mẹ, ông bà lại có thời gian rảnh rỗi làm những việc khác.
    - Hiện nay trên thị trường có nhiều loại dung cu dua vong tu dong với giá cả và chất lượng khác nhau, việc lựa chọn may dua vong tu dong loai nao tot cho bé với giá cả hợp lý, đảm bảo uy tín chất lượng là mối quan tâm hàng đầu của quý khách hàng. Và An Thái Sơn là địa chỉ ban may dua vong chất lượng, may dua vong gia re uy tín tại TP.HCM.

    Chia sẻ các mẹ bí quyết giúp bé phát triển tốt như: những cách chống nắng hiệu quả cho bé trong những ngày hè, ăn sữa chua đúng cách hay khi nào nên cho trẻ ăn sữa chua, nguyên nhân và cách trị chứng mất ngủ ở trẻ em hay bí quyết giúp bé ngủ ngon giấc giúp bé ngủ ngon hơn, chia sẻ các mẹ nguyên nhân và cách chữa trị bệnh rụng tóc ở trẻ em hay chị em phụ nữa lo lắng có nên uống collagen khi đang cho con bú, chia sẻ về Đông trùng hạ thảo và những cách chế biến đông trùng hạ thảo nguyên con
    Bạn xem thêm bí quyết và chia sẻ kinh nghiệm làm đẹp:

    Những thực phẩm giúp đẹp da tại http://nhungthucphamgiupda.blogspot.com/
    Thực phẩm giúp bạn trẻ đẹp tại http://thucphamgiuptre.blogspot.com/
    Thực phẩm làm tăng tại http://thucphamlamtang.blogspot.com/
    Những thực phẩm giúp làm giảm tại http://thucphamlamgiam.blogspot.com/
    Những thực phẩm tốt cho tại http://thucphamtotcho.blogspot.com/

    Chúc các bé khỏe mạnh, mau ăn chóng lớn!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you sweet talk me! It makes my day!
And please make sure you leave an email address so we can keep the convo going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips